The bottom line is: You can’t be everything to everyone.
If you try to do that your message becomes diluted and you become nothing to everyone. Conversely, when you have a single focus, the purpose of your business become very clear to your clients, which makes it easy for them to understand what you do and why they would want to go to you. You then get to become the go-person for that thing that you are really good at.
That one single focus is your Unique Selling Point (USP).
Your USP can feel difficult to nail down, because you probably deliver many things to your clients that are important to them. However, when you sit back and really think about it, there is one thing that you do all the time for every single client. It is the most unique, important, and own-able advantage that you can claim. And it’s the one thing that your potential clients desperately want. It’s also the one thing that your competitors don’t have.
In short, it’s the one thing that you do best.
Here are a few companies with really well-defined USP’s:
- Bounty is the Quicker Picker Upper
- M&M’s Melt in your mouth, not in your hands
- Gillette – The best a man can get
When you identify your USP, it will set you apart from everyone else in your field. Here are some questions you can ask:
- What do you do in your business that makes you stand out?
- What gives you the greatest competitive advantage?
- What do your customers say they like best about your product or service?
- What do you deliver 100% of the time, every time?
If you’re struggling to figure out your USP, give us a call, we’d be happy to help you with it. Just dial 403-464-7559 to get some help today!